I can’t believe Memorial Day weekend is here and Summer is around the corner. My mind says cup cakes and donuts but my bikini says salad and green juice. Against my better judgment I always opt for the latter and then I feel terrible after I eat it. It’s hard to find healthy options especially at work. Every time I walk into the staff lounge there are always pastries on the table. I cannot resist because something sweet goes so well with my coffee.
So, to make healthier eating choices I have committed myself to breakfast and lunch meal prep this year and it makes an absolute world of difference. Since I’ve started prepping my meals, eating a healthy snack or lunch at work each day has never been easier.
I don’t even consider buying lunch, I just reach into the fridge and pull out my pre-made lunch and I am good to go!
I thought I’d share my top 3 meal prep tips with you which has made the process so much easier for me.
- Start small. You don’t have to prep the entire week all at once. Start with one meal first. Snacks like veggies and hummus are a great place to start.
2. Schedule it. Block off an hour or two during the weekend to prep your meals. I knock out all my meals on Sunday afternoons making the other 6 days less stressful. Once you get going you will be amazed at the benefits and how much time it saves.
3. Find recipes you can depend on. Use recipes that you have tried and love. You can add as you go along. I have a few great recipes that my mom shared with me. Also, blogger babe SimplyFae has 20 snacks that are Bikini Body Safe + Recipes as well as Summer Salads + Recipes. Please check it out.
This is my mom’s egg muffin cup recipe:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mushrooms measured before chopping
- 1/2 cup red pepper measured after chopping
- 1/2 cup yellow onion measured after chopping
- 1 cup baby spinach / broccoli (or any veggies you love) – roughly chopped measured/packed before chopping
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cheese (optional)
- Cherry tomatoes
- 6 whole eggs
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease a standard non stick 12-slot muffin pan with cooking spray and set aside.
Heat a large non stick skillet over medium heat.
Once hot, add in oil, red pepper and onion.
Saute 5-7 minutes, or until peppers are tender.
Add in spinach and mushrooms and cook for an additional 2 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.
Crack eggs or if you prefer egg whites into a large bowl and whisk together.
Stir in cooked veggies.
Pour the egg/veggie mixture evenly into the prepared muffin pan.
Sprinkle with cheese and cherry tomatoes. Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until the tops are firm to the touch and eggs are cooked.
Cool slightly and serve immediately!
Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for about 4 days.
These may also be frozen.
To reheat, pop them in the microwave until warm.
If you have any great tips on meal prep or awesome recipes, please do share. I would love to hear from you. Thank you to all Veterans and active service members for all you do. Happy MDW beauties.
Photo Credit: Andrew Swaine